Bjorn Hanson, Ph.D.
Dr. Hanson's degrees are from Cornell (B.S.), Fordham (MBA) and NYU (Ph.D.). His career before joining NYU full time was as a management consultant including as the Global Industry Leader - Hospitality & Leisure for PricewaterhouseCoopers, as an investment banker serving as Managing Director for two Wall Street firms. Courses he teaches include Lodging Structures and Strategies (the first course our students take in our undergraduate degree program) and undergraduate and graduate finance courses.
Publications & Research
- Dr. Hanson has authored or co-authored over 100 articles including one named "Article of the Year" for the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly.
- He has been quoted over 1,000 times including in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Financial Times, Time, Newsweek, Business Week, Forbes and Fortune.
- Books: Dr. Hanson has contributed materiel ranging from chapter to data, or been reference in over 20 books including texts published by the Educational Institute of the American Hotel & Lodging Association.
- Other: Dr. Hanson has appeared on broadcast television many times including on BBS Nightly News, ABC World News Tonight and on CNN, CNBC and PBS.
Awards & Honors
- Dr. Hanson has received numerous awards Including Cornell's Hotelie of the Year
- One of the 33 Most Influential People in the Travel Industry, Travel Weekly
- One of the 25 Most Influential People in the Meetings Industry, Meeting News
- Distinguished Conti Professor, Penn State
- Brener Silver Plate recipient, Lodging Hospitality/NYU International Hospitality Investment Conference
- Cornell Hotelie of the Year
- One of the Lodging Industry's 75 Leaders, AH&LA Lodging Profiles in Leadership