Dr. Laitamaki has Ph.D., and M.Sc. degrees from Cornell University School of Hotel Administration and Master of Business Administration and Economics from the Turku School of Business in Finland. He is an international expert in strategy, marketing, branding and entrepreneurship with 30 years of experience in research, teaching and consulting in over 20 countries on six continents. Prior to NYU he was as a management consultant with Service Management Group and McKinsey & Co., and a professor at U.C. Berkeley and Fordham University.
Publications and research
- “Sustainable Tourism Development Frameworks and Best Practices: Implications for Cuban Tourism Industry.” (with Lisandra Torres Hechavarría University of Havana, Mariko Tada, Siying Liu, Natania Setyady, Nuntawan Vatcharasoontor and Feizhou Zheng New York University, School of Professional Studies) Forthcoming in Managing Global Transitions: International Research Journal
- “Senior Citizen Wellbeing: Differences Between American and Finnis Societies.” (with Raija Jarvinen, University of Helsinki) Conference Proceedings of Management International Conference 2015 (MIC15), Portoroz, Slovenia, May, 2015.
- “The Impact of the 2008 Financial Crises on Finnish and American Households.” (with Raija Jarvinen) The Finnish Journal of Business Economics, 1, 2013: 41-65.
- “Global Strategies for Destination Management Organizations: Focus on Country Brand Experience Management.” (with T. Hamalainen) Finnish Journal of Tourism Research, Vol 2, No 4, 2008: 5-24..
- “The I 2DE 2A-Framework of Strategic HR Value Added Management: Best Practices in International Hospitality, Travel and Transportation Industries.” (with Sinikka Laitamaki and Tarja Ruuska) Estonian Business School Review 2, 23, 2007: 7-18.
- "Building and Deploying Profitable Growth Strategies based on the Waterfall of Customer Value Added." (with Ray Kordupleski) European Management Journal 15, 2, 1997: 158-166.
- "Borderless Service Designs: Implications for Multinational Enterprise Strategies." Journal of Transnational Management 2, 2, 1996: 5-29.
- "Total Quality Research: Integrating Markets and the Organization." (with Robert Hurley), California Management Review 38, 1, 1995: 59-78.
- "Enhancing Socio-Cultural Interaction through Development of Travel Packages." (with Mary Tabacchi and Heather Searle) Visions: An International Journal of Leisure Industry 1990.
Awards and honors
- FINVA Grant 2013
- OP Group Research Grant 2012
- NYU Curriculum Development Challenge Fund Grant 2004
- Emil Aaltonen Foundation Grant 1989
- Yrjo Jahnsson Foundation Grant 1988
- Foundation for Economic Education Grant 1987
- Jenny and Antti Wihuri Foundation Grant 1986